Monday, July 7, 2014 8 AM
LGBT Pilgrimage to El Salvador
Join Washington National Cathedral’s LGBT ministry group for a weeklong spiritual pilgrimage and field course in El Salvador this summer! We are delighted to announce that Bishop V. Gene Robinson of the Episcopal Diocese of New Hampshire will also participate.
Organized in partnership with Foundation Cristosal, a faith-based human rights and community development NGO based in San Salvador, participants will have the opportunity to learn about the historic human rights movement of El Salvador while also examining the unique role of the Anglican-Episcopal Church within the local LGBT community. The Anglican-Episcopal Church of El Salvador has become known as one of the few fully affirming churches in all of Central America, welcoming openly LGBT individuals as active members and supporting them in faith formation and self-acceptance through its Sexual Diversity Ministry.
Participants will observe the similarities and differences between the experiences of the LGBT community in El Salvador as compared with the U.S., while also gaining firsthand knowledge of a civil society often dominated still by homophobia, heterosexism, and machismo. In the end, participants will gain better insight of an LGBT community in a different context, breaking down the social and cultural barriers that separate us as a global community striving for worldwide equality and united as disciples of Jesus Christ.
Registration deadline: June 6
- Meetings and social activities with members of the Anglican-Episcopal Church of El Salvador’s Sexual Diversity Ministry
- Visiting sacred and historic sites in San Salvador, including the tomb of Archbishop Óscar Romero in the Metropolitan Cathedral
- Meeting with local LGBT community activist and human rights organizations
- Meeting with governmental representatives about the struggles of the country’s LGBT citizens
- Studying the theology behind the Church’s acceptance of LGBT individuals
- Daily reflection, as well as opportunities for worship and prayer
- A concluding day of relaxation and reflection at the beach
July 7–14, 2014
Registration deadline is May 30.
- $785 per person includes accommodations, meals, and local transportation
- Round-trip airfare from Washington, D.C., is estimated to be an additional $650
About Foundation Cristosal
Foundation Cristosal is a faith-based human rights and community development organization based in El Salvador. It believes that each individual is entitled to certain inalienable rights, and its Global School works to develop awareness and movement toward transformative social change in which each individual’s rights are respected.
About Gene Robinson
The Rt. Rev. Gene Robinson is a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress and the recently retired Episcopal bishop of New Hampshire. He is well known for becoming Christendom’s first openly gay priest to be elected a bishop and remains an influential advocate for LGBT equality.
For more information
Email Richard M. Weinberg at firstname.lastname@example.org